Saturday, February 21, 2009

awards season

The Oscars, which I once informed my father are "my Superbowl," are tomorrow. I'm not in total concurrence with the nominees, the likely winners, or even the award categories, and I've seen most of the nominees this year, so I actually feel like I know what I'm talking about. So this year, I'm publishing my own personal picks...

MOVIES

Best Picture: “Slumdog Millionaire”
Runner-up: “Gran Torino”

Best Male Actor: Mickey Rourke, “The Wrestler”

Best Female Actor: Angelina Jolie, “Changeling”
Runner-up: Kate Winslet, “Revolutionary Road

Best Director: TIE – Danny Boyle, “Slumdog Millionaire” and Clint Eastwood, “Gran Torino”

Best Supporting Male Actor: Heath Ledger, “The Dark Knight”

Best Supporting Female Actor: Penelope Cruz, “Vicky Christina Barcelona”

Best Comedy: “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”

Best Action Movie: “The Dark Knight”

Best Screenplay: “Slumdog Millionaire” *I know that this is an adaptation, but as I haven’t read the novel Q & A, I shall consider the script alone

Best Adapted Screenplay: “The Reader” *Read it!

Best Cinematography: "Slumdog Millionaire"

Most Depressing: Revolutionary Road

Biggest Disappointment: TIE – “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” *To be fair, I haven’t seen "Ben Button." But after hearing a multitude of lackluster reviews from people who know a lot about movies, I have no desire to. It is apparently way too long, and lacks conflict.

Best Bad Movie That Was More Entertaining Than Most Good Movies: TIE – “Wanted” and “Twilight”

Best Angst: Evan Rachel Wood, “The Wrestler”

Best Train Wreck: Mickey Rourke, “The Wrestler”

Best Character Actor: Kristen Wiig

Best Kiss: Angelina Jolie and James MacAvoy, "Wanted"

Best Movie Theater Commentary: "It's been too long since 'Tokyo Drift.'" - Dan Bowen, after the new "Fast & Furious" trailer
Runner-up: "Yay!" - Ashley Vargus, after the first 7-ish minutes of "Revolutionary Road"

TELEVISION

Best Drama: TIE – “Dexter” and “24” *This season may have missed the awards cut-off, but I don’t care. I’m making up my own awards.

Best Comedy: “The Office”

Best Miniseries/TV Movie: “Raisin in the Sun”

Best Male Actor – Drama: Michael C. Hall, “Dexter”

Best Female Actor – Drama: Jennifer Carpenter, “Dexter”

Best Male Actor – Comedy: Alec Baldwin, “30 Rock”

Best Female Actor – Comedy: Mary Louise Parker, “Weeds”

Best Reality Show: “The Amazing Race”

Biggest Disappointment: “Heroes”

Trashiest Guilty Pleasure: “Rock of Love: Bus Tour”
Runner-up: “The Tool Academy

Best Talk Show:Chelsea Lately”


AWARDS SEASON

Best Speech: Hugh Laurie, anytime he wins something

Most Obnoxious Speech: Anne Hathaway, The Critics’ Choice Awards

Biggest Snub: Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino

Best Dress: TIE – Angelina Jolie, The Golden Globes, and Freida Pinto, The Screen Actors Guild Awards

Best Newcomers: Dev Patel and Freida Pinto, “Slumdog Millionaire”

The Why-Is-She-Invited-To-This-Awards-Show Award: Miley Cyrus

*I know some of my clips are from previous years. Sorry. They're the best I could find.

1 comment:

Dan said...

"I would like to thank Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Kofi Natei (according to IMDB he will be playing the epic role of "main thug") for inspiring me to make such a comment. I do not take this honor lightly and will tell of its glory to all who will listen. Thank you!

When do I get to pick up my award?